Fire extinguisher – it is a transportable or portable device complying with PN-EN 3 standard. It is used to extinguish fire.
According to the standard, an extinguisher must be red in colour and have a minimum quantity of 1kg of extinguishing agent. The standard also specifies the temperature range for use, the minimum operating time and the minimum extinguishing effectiveness. The minimum quantity of extinguishing agent should also be noted.
Do you know when their inspection and maintenance is required?
FIRE EXTINGUISHER – DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHEN SELECTING HANDY FIRE EXTINGUISHING EQUIPMENT?
One unit of extinguishing agent weight of 2kg (or 3 dm3) contained in an extinguisher is sufficient for:
- for each 100 m2 of fire area in the building, not protected with a fixed fire extinguishing system;
– classified in threat category ZLI, ZLII, ZLIII, ZLV, production and warehouse with fire load density above 500MJ/m2;
– containing a room endangered by explosion.
- for each 300 m2 of the area of a fire zone not mentioned in pt. 1, with the exception of those classified in category ZL IV.
In accordance with § 3 of the MSWiA regulation on fire protection of buildings, other structures and areas:
- fire extinguishers should be subjected to technical inspections and maintenance activities, in accordance with the principles and in the manner specified in the Polish Standards for fire-fighting equipment and fire extinguishers, in the technical and operating documentation and in the operating instructions developed by their manufacturers;
- technical inspections and maintenance activities should be carried out at intervals determined by the manufacturer, but at least once a year.
Taking the above regulations into consideration, inspection at least once a year is an absolute minimum!
More frequent inspections of fire extinguishers can be performed in situations of higher fire risk, e.g. in chemical plants – when flammable and explosive chemicals are used.
Do you have handy fire extinguishing equipment in your company?
Do you have the safety of facility users in mind?
Overhaul your fire extinguishers with our help: https://ehsconsulting.pl/en/contact/