In the event of using or storing substances which may form explosive atmospheres with air (gases, liquids, solids with a high degree of fragmentation – dust, volatile fractions), the employer should prepare an Explosion Hazard Assessment document.
The Explosion Hazard Assessment document is a document required by a number of legal provisions.
This means that in the event of an inspection by the State Labour Inspectorate or the State Fire Brigade, it may be necessary to present such a document. Insurance companies may also require this document. In conclusion, a correctly completed Explosion Hazard Assessment increases the safety of the company and also protects it from penalties imposed by the State authorities.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF AN EXPLOSION RISK ASSESSMENT?
The purpose of the study is to determine the spaces in which an explosive atmosphere may occur in order to correctly select equipment to be used in these spaces and to assess the risk of explosion. This activity is intended to prevent the occurrence and spread of fire or explosion.
The explosion risk assessment includes:
- the identification of explosive atmospheres,
- determination of appropriate explosion risk zones in rooms and external areas
- drawing up graphic classification documentation,
- indication of factors which can initiate ignition.
WHAT SHOULD AN EXPLOSION HAZARD ASSESSMENT DOCUMENT CONTAIN?
The content of the Explosion Hazard Assessment is regulated by law and can be verified by appropriate authorities. The document should include, among others:
- the location of explosion-hazardous rooms;
- determination of explosion hazard zones in the above-mentioned rooms and open spaces;
- the elaboration of a graphical documentation of the classification
- the presentation of what factors can cause ignition in explosive areas.
The content includes not only the potential causes of the hazard, but also the procedures to be followed by the users of hazardous areas. This allows you to increase safety through the implementation of appropriate recommendations among employees.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A PROPERLY PREPARED EXPLOSION RISK ASSESSMENT?
The main benefits are, of course, the increase in safety through the reduction of explosion risks, increased awareness of employees and a higher standard of safety. A properly completed Explosion Hazard Assessment can also reduce insurance premiums.
Do you need support in preparing your explosion risk assessment? Contact us!